View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2018, 11:49 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dr apts. responsibility

I started scheduling my own appointments in college because I went to the student health center.

My kids schedule their own dentist appointments, but that's because the dentist office sets up the next appointment before they leave. My DD, who goes to college out of town, sets up her own appointments for more urgent health care needs but will ask me to set up her appointments for more general things (like her GP) or even her hair appointments for when she comes home. My DS handles his own appointments.

I stopped going with them on a gradual basis, starting with stepping out of the room for DS's "turn your head and cough" exam and continuing through high school when I'd suggest I sit in the waiting room while they were in with the doctor. DS always took me up on it, DD always wanted me in the exam room with her until she was in college. Dentist appointments were a different story - once DS got a driver's license and we got an HSA credit card that I could give them to pay with, I never went to another dentist appointment.

I'll go with them when they want me to. Some appointments are scarier than others. But I'm very clear with them about HIPAA rules and now that they are over 18, they have the right to privacy. They generally sign the forms anyway.