View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2015, 04:55 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cut ties with sisters but they won't give up

Quote:
I know that God wants me to forgive them for my sake.
We are not a religious forum and I have no intention of trying to convert anyone. I want to address this, though, because it's so misunderstood.

There is a difference between forgiveness and being reconciled. You forgive for your own sake, yes. That forgiveness is a conscious effort not to recall their bad behavior so that you don't have to relive the trauma. You distance yourself, and you find healing.

Reconciliation is often confused with forgiveness, but it is NOT the same thing. It requires forgiveness, but it also requires something on the part of the other people involved: an apology or admission of their bad behavior, a resolution to change their behavior, and effort to repair the damage that was done. Your siblings are no where near that. You learned that when you tried to reconcile.

Let them go. As KayKay and snafu advised: be a black hole, don't JADE, make "No" a complete sentence. Yes, forgive, but let dreams of reconciliation go for now.

(((hugs)))