View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough
Re: adult daughter driving me crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv3313 View Post
I don't know how I make her understand I have had enough and she needs to grow up and take on the responsibilites for herself. Any suggestions out there???
Hi lv3313,
I don't know that you can make her understand; you just have to do. It sounds like you have been her safety net for a long time. She needs to learn to fly without the net- something she has to learn on her own.

You are right that your relationship with your daughter shouldn't be a negative influence on the other relationships in your life, especially with your husband and especially at this point in your life.

Obviously you should be a mental support for your daughter while she is battling cancer. I'm sure this has been difficult for the entire family. It's good to hear she's doing well.

I think the short answer is "No".

Example:

DD: Mom, I need you to xyz.....
YOU: No. Sorry, I can't, you need to do that for yourself.
DD: Mom, can you please.....
YOU: No. That's your responsiblity. I love you, but you need to take care of that on your own.

I know it's easier said than done and I certainly can't claim to have been in your shoes. But, I do wish you and your family good luck. Strength to you and your daughter during this difficult time.

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns