Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Weight Loss/Exercise (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ouchie! and detraining (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=8570)

LucyVanPelt January 8th, 2022 07:06 AM

Ouchie! and detraining

I haven't posted here in a long time. Sorry!

So I've done really well running. In December, I hit my personal best time running a 5K. I hit personal best times in running the mile. Walking and running over 40 miles a week. I know that's not much compared to marathoners, but it's good for me!

Then I broke a toe and I think I sprained the other (according to x-rays, not broken). Ouchie! And I'm banned from running for 4-6 weeks.

I'm worried about gaining weight because I'm still just as hungry!

I'm now concentrating on strength, flexibility, and pilates. But other than biking and swimming (both no-go's for me!) what can I do to prevent cardio detraining?

snafu January 19th, 2022 04:09 PM

Re: Ouchie! and detraining

are you doing this at home or at a gym?

I don't know if it will work for you, but you may want to check out workouts/exercises for double amputees.

you are awesome, 40 miles a week!

LucyVanPelt January 19th, 2022 05:50 PM

Hi snafu! I'm outside or on my treadmill.

Thanks for the suggestion. There's an "arm bike" but I don't have one. And I'm getting in a pool! :D

I found an APP to use to focus on body weight, flexibility and pilates, and I just modify my workouts.

KayKay January 19th, 2022 08:10 PM

How did I miss this???

I'm sorry about your injury, but I'm the LAST person who has any advice about cardio exercise. :D

I broke a toe in college. Can you just tape your toes together really well and walk for exercise?

(How did you break your toe?)

snafu January 20th, 2022 02:08 PM

a pool!!!! What kind? (lap, above ground, inground?)

LucyVanPelt January 20th, 2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayKay (Post 87732)
How did I miss this???

I'm sorry about your injury, but I'm the LAST person who has any advice about cardio exercise. :D

I broke a toe in college. Can you just tape your toes together really well and walk for exercise?

(How did you break your toe?)

Ha! I broke it running around the house with the dog like I was a 4 year old and kicked a door jam. On my anniversary. :rofl:

I was told no walking because of where I broke it, and the possibility I have stress fracture in the toe next to it, too. I have returned to walking this week, using a walking boot, but no running. :(

LucyVanPelt January 20th, 2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snafu (Post 87738)
a pool!!!! What kind? (lap, above ground, inground?)

Typo-- I'm NOT getting in a pool! :D

snafu January 21st, 2022 04:23 PM

so what are you getting in?

btw - walking boot in this weather - brrr ((shudder))

snafu February 6th, 2022 09:07 AM

How's it going Lucy?