Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Open Chat (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Changes in our lifetimes (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3479)

snafu December 24th, 2010 11:16 AM

Changes in our lifetimes

I'm old enough to remember black & white monster sized TVs; being confused when the Wizard of Oz still showed black & white on our TV (didn't have color TV yet). Then the advent of remotes for TVs.... there were projection TV for a while (I didn't care for the pict quality of the ones I saw). Now there's HDTV...

what are other changes

KayKay December 24th, 2010 12:09 PM

Re: Changes in our lifetimes

I'm old enough to remember dial telephones that were attached to the wall. :D (I am too young for the hand-crank ones though...)

My kids laugh hysterically watching shows/movies from the 90's and seeing how the cellphones were as big (and heavy) as bricks. Boy... I thought they were amazing!

Blue Skies December 24th, 2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayKay (Post 37546)
I'm old enough to remember dial telephones that were attached to the wall.

Me too! My DH nephews, when they saw his rotary telephone years ago (this was before I knew him - he was always slow to accept change and still used a rotary phone when the push button dials were what was popular) asked how they worked - they couldn't figure it out.

I remember when you had to crank down your window in the car by hand.

Oh, and I remember when Batman was the coolest show to watch. It was on at 7:30pm and that was our bedtime. I remember it was a special day when we were allowed to stay up an extra half hour just so we could watch it. Same bat time, same bat channel. :p

Lizzie December 24th, 2010 03:22 PM

I'm old enough to remember dial telephones that were attached to the wall. quote

Me too!!!
When I bought my first house with my husband to be 1981 you had to wait sometimes 6mths for the phone to be connected.....The kids find life without mobile phones sooo not cool!

Not only had we got black and white TVs but we listened to the radio a lot....horror of horrors! I tell my boys that thats why the older generation have more vivid/developed imaginations!

JemStar December 25th, 2010 10:45 AM

No pantyhose and the garters always showed. We weren't allowed to wear "pants/jeans" to school. Only skirts and dresses. :( Oh, and no microwaves back in the day.

If one of six kids became ill, the doctor came to our house!!!:eek:

(My dh still uses a dial phone in his office. Can't do banking, unemployment, etc. But the touch phone is right around the corner and he'll grab that one if needed. The dial phone on his desk weighs alot. As if it is made of lead. )

snafu December 28th, 2010 08:34 PM

car seats for kids

(I remember riding in the back of the station wagon with a blanket & if you held it just right-& kind loving mom opened the rear window, it was like being in a balloon)

KayKay December 28th, 2010 08:57 PM

Ha! I'll see your car seats and raise you seat belts! :D (J/K, kind of. Seat belts were in some cars, but not mandatory. And they were the old lap belts! :D)

snafu December 29th, 2010 04:16 PM

:rofl::o

I'm kind of embarassed...it took me until just now to realize a huge change...

personal computers (& the internet) - don't even get me started on the games (I remember "pong" - I thought it was pointless too)

snafu February 21st, 2011 06:21 PM

cassett tapes -> 8 tracks -> cassetts again (they improved) -> CD's -> Ipods

what's next?

snafu February 21st, 2011 06:23 PM

oh yeah...dish washers :D

central air....ahhhhhh, nice -much better than window units (can you tell who's bedroom didn't get cooled by the window unit in the dining room?)