Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   All Grown Up (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Do we become our parents? (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3144)

snafu June 14th, 2010 05:21 PM

Do we become our parents?

I've been wondering about this lately (a lot).

I love my DM, but there are some things she does that drive me batty- however, I've noticed that after I've been around her I start doing some of the same things :eek::eek:.

I understand child developement - how we learn things from our parents, but at what point do we stop modleing our behavior after their's? To me it seems that we copy our parents as children, there's a gap where we do our own thing, but then as we age we start copying them again.

Has anyone else noticed this?

LucyVanPelt June 15th, 2010 04:09 AM

Re: Do we become our parents?

Everyone I know has had that surreal moment when they open their mouths and their parents' words come tumbling out. :o

Brownie June 15th, 2010 05:47 AM

Well said Lucy...I know what you mean. It's almost like a de ja vu feeling!

Blue Skies June 15th, 2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snafu (Post 34539)
Has anyone else noticed this?

YES, YES YES! Just the other day, I was sitting, doing nothing much in particular, and noticed I was sitting the same way - in the same type of crossed leg position as my DM used to. I've noticed for years that my DM's voice and words get channeled through me - scary. :eek:

KayKay June 15th, 2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt (Post 34545)
Everyone I know has had that surreal moment when they open their mouths and their parents' words come tumbling out. :o

Hee hee... happens all the time.

I can only hope that I'd become my D or SM. :) I often will tell my kids a saying that my D or SM had ("Win or lose, when you fight with skunks you end up stinking." "A girl's best friend is a boy's imagination."). One day when I was applying one of my SM's sayings to a situation DD was going through, DD said "You know, your SM was always right. That's SO ANNOYING." I laughed and said "Yeah, that's exactly how I felt about it when I was your age too!" It's kinda great to be able to give my kids advice that comes from my P's instead of from me. :p

snafu June 15th, 2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayKay (Post 34554)
It's kinda great to be able to give my kids advice that comes from my P's instead of from me. :p

LOL - I totally agree - its really fun/funny when DS complains about something & I tell him I get it - as G-ma "Rose" used to tell me the same thing

ie me: "DS, you need to enunciate when you talk"

april September 28th, 2010 12:35 PM

My DM favorite sentence that drove me nuts when I was a child: when I argued that I did not want to do something, she would say "You could have done it 10 times by now during the time you spent arguing".

Now I find myself saying exactly this to my DS several times a week ...

HisHeathenHoney September 28th, 2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by april (Post 36164)
My DM favorite sentence that drove me nuts when I was a child: when I argued that I did not want to do something, she would say "You could have done it 10 times by now during the time you spent arguing".

Ugh. Me too (or variations thereof. My version is "You could be using this time to get it done instead of wasting it by arguing about it.") It is so infuriating.

Mrs X September 28th, 2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by april (Post 36164)

Apparently i just stand there mutely, but THINKING it very loudly!

snafu October 16th, 2010 07:04 PM

:eek: I've been spending more time than usual around DM & I've started picking up her speach patterns :eek:

:o ok - I already had the tendency, but its worse today

(DS & I spent the day with G-ma)