Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   empty nest (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6984)

snafu October 11th, 2014 01:57 PM

empty nest

How does anyone here feel about having an "empty nest"

Strangely, I'm looking forward to having more "us" time with DH, rather than trying to juggle things ... I will miss DS when he moves out

(DH can retire when DS graduates High School)

:o:p:o I'm also looking forward to the day we have grandkids, so we can do zoo trips, etc. rather than trying to do things with teens ;)

Mrs X October 11th, 2014 06:21 PM

Re: empty nest

looking forward to not having to share a car! :D

KayKay October 11th, 2014 07:11 PM

I'm a little nervous about it. :( Besides just missing my kids, my main day-to-day activity revolves around my kids' school. I will be losing that too.

I'm sure it will be fine. :) I barely see my kids as it is. It won't be too different - just less mess in the house.

Cremebrulee October 13th, 2014 03:33 AM

as in everything else in life, it does take a while to adjust. It is a hard time, very hard for me, b/c the house became so darn quiet. Our home was the home that all the kids came to. You just have to look for other things to keep yourself busy....and then after a while, it becomes part of your routine...

What you must keep in mind, is, never make your children your whole purpose in life, and quickly find other things to keep yourself busy, classes, friends, doing things that you always wanted to do, but were to busy to.

Hugs....

LucyVanPelt October 14th, 2014 08:15 AM

I am having a hard time. More "us" time would be great, but I miss having children to play with.

KayKay October 14th, 2014 09:14 AM

The one thing I have to 'fess up to looking forward to is the food. DH and I like foods that my kids don't, so I can get back to cooking meals that *I* like versus meals that everyone will eat.

Cremebrulee November 19th, 2014 06:36 AM

You always miss your kids, no matter what....but one thing I failed to understand when we were all distant from each other and that is....

Life is like a revolving door, it never stays the same and is constantly changing and unfortunately, sometime, we must change with it, or remain in a black hole of sorts, regressing instead of progressing.

So, when our children leave the house, we must put forth a new concept of change, and get out there and do things, that we always wanted to do, but never had the time, this is "your" time now, and your life....no more putting everyone else first, which is what we are all used to.

It can be a sort of new life, if you allow it to be....yes, it is hard...especially if we've made our kids and husband our only purpose, which isn't healthy for us or for them....however, and I'm not suggesting that any of you did....but now, change is in the air once again...so, take it by the horns and plan things that you can look forward to.

Get away weekends with hubby, take some classes, paint, accomplish those hobbies you've always dreampt of doing....

Knot2loud November 19th, 2014 07:40 AM

Life's not boring... That's for... sure.

You never stop being a parent - no matter how old you are.

snafu January 10th, 2015 09:16 AM

our "fledgling" who is out of the house is currently sick and so is her puppy. She wants to come back home so somebody can take care of her. If it wasn't such a long drive I would go (she wants her daddy though)

snafu July 1st, 2015 02:01 PM

wow - 2.25 more years, then I'll have an empty nest