PDA

View Full Version : Fat dog....

Mrs X
November 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
- She has lost all her ribs!!! - I'm supposed to be able to feel at least half of them with out pressing too hard or using a lot of imagination. Currently it is all just wobble.

We are therefore on a diet and exercise regime. Diet involves eating less processes more raw food. Exercise means walking at least 7.5km (4.5mi) per day. It's quite a rugged walk, and trying to do it quickly. In her own opinion she does FAR to much exercise and not nearly enough eating anyway. :( - In the past, the only way she has lost weight is when she got sick and had vomiting and the runs for a few days. Not at all good.

Has anyone else successfully got a dog to permanently loose weight? (I'm not sure running with her is an option, i'd have to carry her.)

snafu
November 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
do you have dog parks where you live?

could you take her or set up doggie "play dates"?

Greenbeans in addition to reg food (if she'll eat them) work for dogs to fill them up without adding calories ... just be warned they cause gas in some dogs

LucyVanPelt
November 18th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Mrs. X, your dog sounds very familiar. I'm scared to look in the mirror or I might bark! :p

snafu
November 18th, 2012, 06:47 PM
ooops... forgot to say a can/tin of greenbeans

KayKay
November 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Mrs. X, your dog sounds very familiar. I'm scared to look in the mirror or I might bark! :p

:rofl:

"Woof Woof!" - (Me too!). :D

Lizzie
November 19th, 2012, 01:31 AM
:rofl:

"Woof Woof!" - (Me too!). :D

Hilarious!

Cats too get overweight. Mine seem to be always hungry and one even opens up the
cat food pouches herself!

As for looking in the mirror........I'll skip in that one!!

Mrs X
November 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
LOL, hope you guys aren't as reluctant to exercise as she is! Snafu, we do have an off-leash beach close by, taking her there when it is fine is a good idea, now that the evenings are getting longer. :)

LucyVanPelt
November 19th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Seriously, Mrs X, I think you should approach your dog like you would any overweight underexercised human being. Start small and work your way up and offer her lots of non-food rewards for her efforts. :)

sjs
November 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I think getting rid of any treats for a while might help. Treats can add up a lot of calories...

Mrs X
December 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Poor doggy. We are still on the diet and exercise plan, and we are getting fitter! - The really amazing thing is that she seems to be keen to go for a walk! Well keenish. Well, slightly interested, rather than having to be dragged and bribed out the door.
- Disclaimer: "Keen" for a golden retriever going for a walk is a relative term. We can tell there is a slightly interest, others might not. :)

LucyVanPelt
December 18th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I'm glad the dog is working up interest in a walk. I'm working on it, too.:D

Knot2loud
December 18th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I had a fat Rat Terrier. I couldn't seem to convince my mother to quit feeding the dog leftover pizza from her plate - among other leftover items from her plate. Seemed the more I asked her not to the more she did it. :mad: The dog weighed in at 36.5 lbs at her heaviest. Starches don't cut it for humans so it stands to reason that starches don't cut it for God's little critters either. When I moved my mother out of the house I started feeding the sog correctly - a good healthy dog food (not that Old Roy crap from Wally-World either - that stuff would kill a scavenger rat). Science Diet or Lamaderm are great pet foods - there are plenty of other good foods for pets too. Then the walks at the park too. It took a couple of years, but I finally have a slim-trim healthy and happy dog. She's down to 24 lbs (from her last vet visit). Perfect weight for this size dog.

The vet told me, when I started the exercise and diet, to feed the dog "X" amount of food a day. Divide it for twice a day but feed the dog no more than the allotted amount each day. Of course... I cheat and give her things like cooked chicken & steak scraps (no fat). After all... those eyes beg and are hard to refuse.

On Sundays I cook up some scrambled eggs for them when I make breakfast for my wife and I.

What can I say... I'm a softy... :)

Mrs X
December 18th, 2012, 08:40 AM
That's good to hear Knot2loud. She's 39.5kg (87lb), and needs to be about 34kg (74lb), so almost the same weight loss required as your doggy. Everyone's problem is those big brown "please feed me i'm starving" eyes