PDA

View Full Version : aging pets

snafu
November 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Our remaining dog is getting old :( - she's not hearing well, and her eyes are cloudy. She's also starting to sleep with her head propped up like out other dog (who passed when he was 15 yr).

She'll be 13 yr this spring... she aslo yelped when grandpapa touched her hips the other day (I'd never seen/heard her do this before)

Annsdil
November 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM
She may have a touch of arthritis. That's how and what we found with one of ours. It's not curable, but it's manageable.

My dog passed at 13 went downhill quickly and we knew it was time. :(

Her sister (mums dog) from the same litter, now 15, has had senility, cushings, arthritis, under-active thyroid, for years. Thank goodness for pet insurance! Her eye sight and hearing are going, but she is still a happy, waggy tail doggy. She still every so often bounds around like a young pup (I want to know what cocktail of her medication is doing that for her, cos I could sure use some!) She also still does her mad marathons!

I am sure she will let us know when she is no longer happy and has had enough. :(

snafu
November 19th, 2011, 05:34 AM
she's still a happy, "puppyish", bounding, leaping dog... I think I'll call the vet and see if there's something we can do.

mum of three
November 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
You shouls be able to get something for her, She maybe developing hip dispraxia. Alot of breeds suffer with this. You can get help with it but not cure it.

Let us know how you get on

snafu
January 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Well... we now know for a fact that Blondie is loosing her hearing - she didn't respond to the fireworks New Years Eve - normally she cowers/whines/etc. when there are fireworks or thunder. On the bright side, maybe she won't wake up when there are thunder storms anymore.

Knot2loud
January 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I love dogs. A dog defines the phrase: Unconditional Love.

lastofall
January 5th, 2012, 05:16 AM
We love and take care of our pets the best that we can, and we are thankful if the pet may pass away peacefully.
I am just reflecting, because our cat "Baby" just passed away last month, he was 19yrs 9mo. old. It is most difficult when you´ve had it for so long.

snafu
January 5th, 2012, 05:19 AM
(hugs) lastofall -

snafu
May 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM
...(snip)....maybe she won't wake up when there are thunder storms anymore.

:eek::mad::eek::( I musta' been dreaming - then DH refuses to try what the vet suggested (OTC people meds to help Blondie sleep)

She's killing me .... we've had lots of storms for the past month ... and its me that usually wakes up when Blondie is freaking out from storms (might have something to do with the fact that she puts her nose in my face, paws my side of the bed, and the fact that once she's in bed with us I can't sleep when she whines & quivers).

After I left bed last night (to sleep on the couch -away from the poor scared, quivering, whining dog) Blondie followed me & would not leave me alone :eek:. I'll admit it :o - I yelled at the dog :(:o. Then DH put her in her kennel in the basement - if I'd done that I'd never gotten back to sleep.... as it was I heard Blondie whining off an on until I finally fell back asleep (I stayed on the couch- I was pizzed)... I feel like carp this morning

KayKay
May 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I say DH doesn't get a vote about the OTC meds anymore. ;)

Mrs X
May 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I say DH doesn't get a vote about the OTC meds anymore. ;)

*likes*

snafu
May 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM
:( Blondie is old & he's afraid it may kill her (his 1st wife & DD adopted the dog as a puppy)

Mrs X
May 5th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Oh, what a horrible situation, no i wouldn't give her people sleeping pills either, she's a miniature/toy isn't she?. How about something like Rescue Remedy? - Lots of people give it to their pets to calm them down. (Bach flower extract).

Mrs X
May 5th, 2012, 08:53 PM
:o ps, i didn't know what "OTC" stood for so googled it. I thought it was a type of medicine, like ibuprofen, only OTC. (Over-the-counter, if anyone else is confused).

KayKay
May 5th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Over the counter medicines are ones that aren't strong enough (or do not contain a controlled substance) to require a prescription (here in the states, anyway). I was just going on the fact that the vet recommended it. :o I wouldn't give my pets any human medicine either, if the vet hadn't recommended it.

snafu
May 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
It rained last night, & we have another storm tonight

(and I got to sleep last night - :o I think DH put her in her crate, but I was so tired last night I don't remember :eek::o:rolleyes:)

snafu
May 8th, 2012, 04:38 PM
DH called the vets' office & got the answers he needed. We're not due for a storm until this weekend {:rolleyes::( - yeah, another one... pout, pout} and DH is going to pick up the OTC stuff before then. Which will be great for me and Blondie ... I'll get to sleep :); and she will have some relief from her storm induced panic attacks.