PDA

View Full Version : when cats yak

snafu
July 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
This morning I woke up to an awful sound & at first I couldn't identify it. I asked DH if he heard it - and he said something about hammering (there are still people getting their roofs done here). I realized that it was one of the cats yaking :( - turns out it was just a fur ball :rolleyes: (yes- my DH thought a cat hacking up a fur ball sounded like hammering)

I'm going to be giving both kitties furball remedy daily for a week, then just once a week - hopefully that will cut done on the cat yak.

If they start running from me to avoid it - any suggestions?

laurpkny
August 1st, 2011, 03:52 AM
Hi Snafu - my cat is long haired and also has hair balls so I hear that noise all the time. We have tried everything - brushing her daily, hair ball medicine, but she still gets them.
She does really like Hartz Hairball remedy plus for cats and kittens Salmon Flavor. She actually eats this right off my fingers. This extends the time between hair balls but they are still there.

Aside from that I do not know what else to try either.

Please let me know if you come up with anything else.:eek:

snafu
August 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
I did it daily for a week, then switched to once a week - the cats are starting to "yak" up small furballs, so I'm going to up it to twice a week

snafu
September 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
one cat loves the fur ball stuff - the other :rolleyes: runs away when I have it

- an occasional can of catfood helps too

snafu
October 3rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
DS and I read the ingredients - the furball stuff has catnip in it! No wonder kitty gets loopy

snafu
July 24th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I was so proud of myself, I found cat food formulated for indoor cats & to reduce furballs (note that keyword was). I've not needed to give the junk from a tube :clap: - and I was going to brag about how well things have been working .... well - last night DH discovered where a cat had yaked big time - and it had dried - luckily edust/pledge & some elbow grease got it off.

The yak may be my fault :o as I've been mixing the anti-furball food with their regular food. May have to chage to straight anti-furball food.

snafu
October 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
:rolleyes: we had a period where both the dog & the cats were yakking :( - thankfully that's over ... but now the dog has to be watched so that she doesn't eat grass... the cats - I just upped the % of anti-furball food they get (I mix indoor & anti fur food)

snafu
January 4th, 2014, 02:31 PM
This morning I woke up to an awful sound ... (snip)

This happened again recently. :rolleyes::o Considering I've been sleeeping thru the cats begging for breakfast, its really amazing that I woke up, knew what was happening, and got it cleaned up quickly/ in less time than it's been taking me to wake up.

snafu
April 28th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I discovered that the cats don't yak if they get canned kitty food 2x a week; they're still on the anti furball dried food.

I discovered I needed to up the canned food after "the king of yak" got my newly shampooed carpets :(

snafu
October 10th, 2014, 05:05 PM
:rolleyes::(

Why, oh why, does princess have to yak in the same place/at the top of the stairs

(:mad: and why does she feel the need to eat my house plants = green yak)

KayKay
October 10th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Our alpha male has a favorite spot too - he throws up in the hallway outside of our bedroom. I have learned to turn the light on in the hallway every morning rather than walking through barefoot in the dark. :p

snafu
October 11th, 2014, 07:44 AM
:eek::puke:

I've been barefoot and discovered "gifts" too

snafu
February 26th, 2015, 08:05 PM
argh!!!

I changed the kitties food (same brand) - from indoor hairball control (1-6 yr of age) to indoor hairball control for "mature" cats (our are 10 & 11 yr). Since I did this Prinny has been yakking a lot (poor DH found 5 places where she yakked today). I'm changing the food back and have an appointment with the vet Saturday.

KayKay
February 26th, 2015, 08:09 PM
LOL - I forgot about this thread.

Last fall one of our cats actually threw up in the shape of a yak's head. Yes, I took a picture. :rofl:

snafu
February 26th, 2015, 08:11 PM
post it, I wanna see. :)

KayKay
February 26th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I thought about it but no... just can't bring myself to post a picture of cat vomit. ;)

snafu
May 26th, 2015, 05:35 AM
:( one of the kitties yacked in the wee hours this morning - I slept thru it - DH dealt with it

I know there's a handheld carpet cleaner - who has one & is it preferable to using rags to clean the yak?

KayKay
May 26th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I have one, and yes.. it is much preferable. Still, you have to remove all of the solid stuff (I use paper towels) before you can clean the carpet. TBH, I don't pull it out every time a cat throws up because I'd be pulling it out constantly. Our cats go awhile without throwing up, but then when one of them starts, it goes on for awhile. I usually let a few spots build up before I get the cleaner out.

Catwoman
June 9th, 2015, 05:50 PM
My 3 yr old girl did it at 1am this morning, I lept out of bed to turf her outside but yick there was a couple of big blobs of it...blerk!!......I find mine do it if they eat too much......after these two have gone to the pearly gates above, no more for us.....our girls are 3 and 8.

slr0031
June 18th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Ok this thread is pretty funny, and I would also like to see the picture of the yak head.

snafu
January 21st, 2016, 07:22 PM
kitties still yak :(

but I got a spot carpet shampooer & I love it

- just have to remember to empty the return tank once done (I forgot to once when the yak was really gross - the stench was awful)

snafu
May 22nd, 2016, 07:13 PM
love the shampooer, but if I leave it out ... no yak (or at least not much), put it away .... huge barf pile

snafu
July 14th, 2016, 12:24 PM
we are now trying a different thing to comb them out ... originally we were using a comb, now I got this "hoop" thing that really seems to be getting the undercoat out

Catwoman
July 14th, 2016, 02:49 PM
kitties still yak :(

but I got a spot carpet shampooer & I love it

- just have to remember to empty the return tank once done (I forgot to once when the yak was really gross - the stench was awful)

ewww blerk lol

snafu
January 3rd, 2017, 11:08 AM
I found a different fur-ball treatment .... chia seeds

I mix them in with canned kitty food and I don't have to fight Ghost to get him to take it.

KayKay
January 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
I tried this today! Thanks for the tip. My cat doesn't have bad hairball problems, but she does hack one up every now and then. She licked those chia seeds up with the gravy on her food (and left the solid stuff behind... what else is new).

snafu
January 4th, 2017, 05:23 PM
How much did you give her?

I've found recommendations for 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp for every 10 pounds

KayKay
January 4th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Honestly, I didn't measure. I did "a pinch" which in my guess is probably close to 1/8 tsp? She weighs just over 7 pounds (last time I weighed her, but I probably ought to weigh her again). She is a shorthair who doesn't have hairball problems, so I figured it was just preventative more than anything.

snafu
October 30th, 2017, 06:14 PM
😞 I didn't keep up with the chia seeds...kept getting the dose wrong.... Ended up kitty had issues, barfed in my bed (gross), and became impacted.... I'm a bad kitty mom and 👻 had a trip to the vet and a shot in the backside