PDA

View Full Version : Indoor cats.

Knot2loud
April 15th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Why do people have cats and never let them go outside? I grew up with cats and when they wanted to go outside we let them out. We never had a liter box - never needed one. I can see an old person living in anassisted living place having an indoor cat, but people that have homes? I just don't get it.

Never buried one of our cats - they just disappeared when they got old.

KayKay
April 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats too, but now have indoor cats. There are lots of good reasons, just as you feel there are lots of reasons to let them be outdoor cats.

I feel that it's a question of responsible pet ownership. My cats are neutered and front-claw declawed (for safety, after my DD almost had her eye accidentally scratched as a little girl). Neutered and declawed cats are not safe outdoors. Our area has coyotes and feral hogs that enjoy snacking on warm fluffy kittens. My cats are in danger being allowed to roam outdoors and since I love my pets and don't want to them to be hurt, I keep them in. Besides - indoor cats have longer life spans.

If you've read about my problems with "Porch Cat" (my neighbor's cat) you can see that cats can cause big problems for your neighbors. Their cat sprayed all over our yard and frankly, I don't enjoy the scent of a cat marking it's territory in my garage or in my bushes. My cats used to be able to go outside (supervised), but they no longer can because of the neighbor's cat (the scent threw our alpha male into a murdering frenzy that gave me infected scratches saving the other male). I can no longer open the windows in my house because of my neighbor's cat. The problem of spraying (and feral overpopulation) is taken care of by fixing a cat, and unfortunately a neutered male is at a disadvantage in nature. Porch Cat, who has an indoor cat temperment, has become a huge burden to us because of my neighbors' irresponsibility. I don't think highly of them at all, and wish they would have not gotten a cat if they didn't want to take care of it. Another neighbor actually took the cat to get it fixed (too late to stop it from spraying, unfortunately). I don't even know if the "owners" are aware of that.

I would be heartbroken if one of mine just "disappeared". That happened to cats my family had growing up and cats my DH had growing up (and happens to barn cats that a friend of mine has on her farm). Maybe if you have outdoor cats you just aren't as attached to them? I don't know.

One of my friends was upset because her kids found their cat dead on the floor of their garage one morning. Their cat was an indoor/outdoor cat that someone was kind enough to leave a bowl of radiator fluid out for. Obviously, their cat annoyed the wrong person. :(

snafu
April 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM
where I live outdoor cats are not allowed - all pets are supposed to be in either fenced in yards or on a leash

tashii.xo
May 23rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
For their safety, i have 3 indoor cats.
It should be illegal for cats to be outside without a cat run as far as im concerned. Not everyone likes cats, they go and crap in peoples gardens, eat their small pets etc.. I'm sure you wouldn't want some randoms dog coming in your backyard and crapping everywhere.. so why must people tolerate your cat doing it?
My cat as a child was eaten by a fox in front of me and another was killed by someones dog. Never again. Mine stay inside now. :)

Kittyxo
May 24th, 2011, 12:07 AM
tashii.xo said it all. Haha. :)

Annsdil
May 24th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I personally prefer having dogs as pets to cats though I do like cats.

I guess if I did have a cat I would prefer it to be an indoor one. Because I would be constantly worrying about it if it was able to roam anywhere outdoors.

However, the cats around my neighbourhood are pretty annoying. Especially the neighbours ones. The neighbours being the responsible sort that allowed their KITTEN to get up the duff having not bothered to have it spayed, then decided they couldn't "bear" to be parted with the litter of six that she produced. And so they now have seven cats, one dog and seven people living in their 800 sq ft home that is not sppossed to have anymore than one cat.

Anyway I digress, my issue is how all those cats have assumed our gardens as their territory, and now our elderly doggy barely spends any more than a couple of minutes at a time in our garden because they have driven her out of her own place. :mad: She used to love just laying out there. Not to mention, they seem to prefer to toilet in our garden, and our doggy's poop I can just about deal with, but cat poop is something else! :(

Michealleo
July 18th, 2011, 11:18 PM
first of all i wana let u know that cat's can never live in cages . i have 2 cats and i always let them out when they want . so if someone try to take them just inside the home then he or she must be doing something . he's making their pets unhappy .

KayKay
July 19th, 2011, 08:29 AM
My cats seem pretty happy. "Indoor" does not mean "caged".

My city has recently passed a law like snafu's. Feral cats are becoming a big problem. The wild feral cats are dangerous to people and domesticated pets.

Knot2loud
July 20th, 2011, 07:29 AM
My mother has an indoor cat. I'm glad she does too. Keeps her company.

SwirlGirl
September 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM
What a controversial topic! At least on some message boards I have been on :p

Cats are in such a hard spot evolution wise. They are not as domesticated as dogs, so in this way I believe it's cruel to keep cats indoors. I can not think of any creature who wants to spend it's entire lives indoors. If you'll notice, indoor cats are constantly sitting in the windows looking out.

However, it's true that wandering cats are bothersome sometimes to non cat people. After all, dogs aren't allowed to wander around off leash.

As far as the safety argument, I tend to think that's a bunch of baloney. If we are keeping cats inside for "their own good" because it's dangerous outside, well then we might as well all wrap ourselves and our animals in a box and live in the basement of our house. Pretty safe down there!

bingobango
November 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM
I've got an older cat (14) who has chosen to stay inside. I can leave the door open all day for my dog to run in and out and she's just not interested. Much prefers the back of the chair or sleeping in front of the stove.

However... I've now got a kitten, too. I asked my vet if he thought I should keep the kitten in or not and the vet said that ethically there are no reasons against keeping a cat inside, as long as it has room enough for it's own space away from other animals, plenty of toys and entertainment, and a slightly different diet.

I'd prefer to keep the kitten indoors because there's a large feral cat community by my house and they have a genetic disorder from inbreeding (teeth falling out and problems with gums) and lots of health problems. Also, there are many urban foxes here.

Kitty seems happy enough in the house, although I've had to sacrifice a couple of chair legs and some wallpaper to his clawing.

WantOpinion
November 9th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Taken from Wiki which is roughly the same as all the other sources like vets etc...

"In captivity, an average life expectancy for male indoor cats at birth is 12 to 14 years, with females usually living a year or two longer. However, there have been records of cats reaching into their 20s and 30s, with the oldest known cat, Creme Puff, dying at a verified age of 38. Having a cat neutered or spayed confers some health benefits, since castrated males cannot develop testicular cancer, spayed females cannot develop uterine or ovarian cancer, and both have a reduced risk of mammary cancer. The lifespan of feral cats is hard to determine accurately, although one study reported a median age of 4.7 years, with a range between 0 to 8.3 years."

I used to let mine out until the second time the male was hurt. Neither have ever been in any danger or been hurt since that time. I used to think they wanted out and I was being mean by not letting them. Now I know better and they adjusted quickly to always being indoors.

tulips
November 29th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I live on a block out in the bush. We let our two cats outside if we are home. They follow me around if I am hanging the washing or pottering outside. Then at night time, or when we go out, they come inside.

Having the cats outside is great because they catch the mice that eat our birdseed.