PDA

View Full Version : Always have to be the bad guy

KayKay
April 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Warm, moist weather in Central Texas... time to be on the alert for fleas!

Since I have indoor cats that never, ever go outside, I hadn't ever treated them for fleas. Last summer our older male started having bumps on his neck. When we took him to the vet, the diagnosis was allergy to flea saliva - they were self-inflicted wounds from scratching. WHHHHAAAAA??? Our cats don't have fleas!! I was thinking that our vet had ripped us off, until the next day when I saw a flea on the white fur of our female cat. It seems (we figured out) that the cat that lives on our porch was attracting fleas, who had gotten into the house.

Luckily, we caught the infestation early and regular application of flea treatment on Porch Cat and our cats got rid of the flea problem.

Winter came and I backed off of the flea treatment. Now with the warm weather, I decided it needs to be started up again. DH disappeared like a cartoon character with a wisp of air where he had been standing when I asked him to hold Squirmy Cat #1.

Now my cats hate me and scurry away cringing when I approach. :( I don't like always having to be the Bad Guy.

Annsdil
April 14th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Give them a couple of treats after the application, so they hate you and love you at the same time! :D

What type of treatment is it? In the UK there is a flea treatment that you just apply a few drops of around the neck and it's supposed to work. Seems less traumatic for pets.

Priscille
April 14th, 2011, 01:22 AM
They'll forget it after a while and will love you again plenty!!! :)

I've developed an allergy to cats and now I can't have one anymore... :( You're so lucky to have your cats even though you need to be the "bad guy" from time to time.

Mrs X
April 14th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Flea treatment? pfft. Try getting a worm pill into an objecting braindead birman!

Lizzie
April 14th, 2011, 02:50 PM
We or should I say 'I' am at this stage too as our weather is getting warmer.

Went to vet with older cat (in pic) as her vac was not done since 2009!

I had massive itchy bites on my ankles and wrist! Sooooooo I knew also I needed
to get the flea stuff and what with my 3 girls I needed to get a pack

We call it Frontline here and like Annsdil says, we put it on the back of the cats neck

I wish I could put it on my ankles that I have attacked viciously to relieve the itch!!

KayKay
April 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM
We have Frontline as well... that's what I used. (Actually, I think I used a Hartz brand, but yeah - same type of thing.) A tube that you squeeze between their shoulder blades, and they're supposed to not mind. My cats still are skittish around me and I haven't seen Porch Cat since. (not sure if that's a :( or a :))

It was really hurting my feelings!! LOL. My cats normally almost pester me throughout the day. Pet me! Pet me! Give me treats! Play with me! Pet me! Last night after the flea treatment they literally cringed and ran when I made eye contact with them.

The alpha male is just too happy to hold a grudge. He let me pet him within a few hours. The older male allowed me to scratch his ears, but only from behind. He turned to walk off when I came up but I was faster and got my fingers on his ears before he got away. He "allowed" me to continue. I noticed he was cuddled up with me in the middle of the night. The female cat was all over me this morning wanting attention. The love isn't in their eyes so I don't think they've forgiven me, but I do think they've decided that they still want me to pet them.

Lizzie - I am so sorry about your itchy ankles! I was actually surprised that I remembered to put the stuff on without the itchy reminder.

LucyVanPelt
April 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think you're going to have more to worry about than angry cats if Bolivia gets its way at the UN!

Bolivia will this month table a draft United Nations treaty giving "Mother Earth" the same rights as humans having just passed a domestic law that does the same for bugs, trees and all other natural things in the South American country.http://www.canada.com/technology/document+would+give+Mother+Earth+same+rights+human s/4597840/story.html

KayKay
April 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Will they take their fire ants back as part of the deal? :p

HisHeathenHoney
April 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM
My cats normally almost pester me throughout the day. Pet me! Pet me! Give me treats! Play with me! Pet me! Last night after the flea treatment they literally cringed and ran when I made eye contact with them.

Heyyyyy....do you think I could use Frontline on my kids?...........

Knot2loud
April 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I once knew a lady whose cat became almost hairless because of a flea infestation. The cat got out one day and disappeared. I'm not comparing you to this gal - it just reminded me of that poor cat.

I had a cat once. It shredded my sofa.

I got rid of the cat.

Lizzie
April 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM
The cats DO NOT like it at all!

Hopefully they (fleas) will bite me and collapse dead.......I cant afford more front line for
me!!! Even the stuff to relive the itch is not working..

This is the reward for having these 3 moggies!

At least It might mean that the summer will be good and warm!!

KayKay
April 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, the Frontline is expensive. :( That's why I went with the Hartz, but I'm wondering (two days later) if it maybe irritates them more? I can still see the wet-looking fur on their shoulders.

My vet (of course) wants me to use Revolution. Yes, I agree it's probably a superior product, but I don't really want to have to get a vet's prescription every month for 4 cats. :eek: (And yes, I have to treat Porch Cat since my neighbors obviously don't care and his fleas adversely affect me. I wonder if their dogs have fleas?)

snafu
April 15th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Years ago, the place where (ex) DH & I lived, the yard was flea infested :eek: We had to treat the yard because if you walked thru it you'd see your socks covered with them (I was near tears as I didn't want harmful pesticides...it would affect the birds, etc... - ok, I was preggers too)

Mrs X
April 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
My vet (of course) wants me to use Revolution. Yes, I agree it's probably a superior product, but I don't really want to have to get a vet's prescription every month for 4 cats. :eek: (And yes, I have to treat Porch Cat since my neighbors obviously don't care and his fleas adversely affect me. I wonder if their dogs have fleas?)

I use revolution on the cat and frontline (plus??) or advantage on the dog. No prescription required for any of them here, but you do have to buy them from the vets. The fleas seem to be better controlled if you use two different products. And um, the dog is ok taking worm pills and the cat...... - well last time there wasn't too much blood on me, and DH cleaned up ok. The worm pill went flying, i think it is behind the fridge. DD who had been watching the show was doubled up in hysterics, and was quite proud of the ninja cat. :devil::devil::devil: (The revolution formula has a worm control thing in it).

KayKay
April 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
:rofl:

Glad you escaped without stitches, Mrs X. :D I don't deworm our cats, although Porch Cat might need it. Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that.

Lizzie
April 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Do you really have to give the cats worm tabs?

When the vet asked me about giving her one I asked the price!Well, first she said 10e
per tab( 1off) which I thought was very expensive but she could give me, after my protest, a
generic version that was half the price This is why I dont trust vets!! LOL!

Also the Frontline would be 10e each treatment but the generic version was 6e!! :(

Dont know if you understand our euro!!

KayKay
April 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I understand the euros, but I miss the punt/pound. ;) (My IL's travel a lot and always bring back coins for DS from the countries they visit. DS has quite a cool collection, but the euros have taken away some of the fun.)

Currently 1 euro = US$1.44 and Frontline here runs about $15/mo (roughly 10e) so it's about the same. Cool. :) Multiply that by 4 cats to treat....

Mrs X
April 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Do you really have to give the cats worm tabs?

Well, we can try! After the last blood letting attempt attempt, i ground up a tablet, and mixed it with oil, and spread it on her front legs so she licked it off and got it that way. :) - Revolution doesn't do the nastier ones, so she still needs to be treated occasionally. :(

Fleas carry worm eggs, and our pets tend to be outside quite a lot, so they get fleas, therefore worms. - Part of the responsibility of owning a pet in this part of the world, otherwise your family is at risk.

KayKay
April 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Can you get the Revolution put on between ninja cat's shoulder blades? :D

And FTR, I woke up with all three cats on top of me this morning, so I think all is forgiven. :rolleyes:

Tink
April 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Ya'know... I've had a cat a few times in my life.... But honestly, it was always the darn dogs that brought in the fleas... I had one that was so bad, that I HAD to take him to the vet to get them out ((We bought him for like $300 without knowing he had them))... Talk about a HUGE bill. UGH!!!

I have vowed, since then, no more pets unless I have a yard that can house them!! And of course, they'd be allowed inside ((Sometimes))!!!

However, my sister, had 26 cats at once one time.... She had 3 females, and 1 male... And guess who ended up pregnant all at the same time!! Ever since that... I can not, and will not tolerate one single cat in my home, because that smell, is unforgettable!!!!

Yes!! I LOVE kittens... They're absolutely adorable, I have nothing against them, but I will unfortunately, never forget that god awful smell that that house STILL smells like ((Now there's only 4 cats there, and my sister's now ex-husband lives there, and I haven't been there in at least 2 years))... but O M F G!!!!! NO WAY!!! :puke:

Mrs X
April 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Can you get the Revolution put on between ninja cat's shoulder blades? :D

And FTR, I woke up with all three cats on top of me this morning, so I think all is forgiven. :rolleyes:

Awww, glad they still love you. :)

Yes, revolution goes on just like advantage or frontline plus. :) She doesn't LIKE it, but she doesn't take exception like she does when you try and stick something down her throat. I put it on before bedtime, and she's slways forgotten by the morning. :D - One advantage of no brain, is short term memory. :D:D:D

Lizzie
April 17th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Ladies.I am still scratching!! The cats seems fine and all but my youngest boy is fine!
We must be the sweetest!

KayKay
April 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Uh oh!! I hear fleas are really difficult to get rid of. :( I hope you don't have an infestation!

Knot2loud
April 18th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I don't use any of that Frontline, Revolution or any of that anti-flea repellent stuff. Every other day of sprinkle just a little garlic powder in my dogs food. They get a bath about once a month with regular shampoo and conditioner.

This pet care thing has become quite a racket. They even offer insurance for Tabby & Fido now.

KayKay
April 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Garlic powder?! Does that work to keep them flea-free???

Knot2loud
April 18th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Garlic powder?! Does that work to keep them flea-free???

They don't get fleas. I do give our dogs heartworm preventative from sping to fall. IMHO all that other stuff is just stuff. Give the garlic powder a try.

Lizzie
April 19th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Uh oh!! I hear fleas are really difficult to get rid of. :( I hope you don't have an infestation!

Gave the flea treatment Thurs'Fri last and have not been bitten since Sunday......

It takes a while to act and get the little lurking monsters....I am so pleased to not
be going mad scratching!!!

snafu
April 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Multiply that by 4 cats to treat....

:confused: I thought you only had TWO indoor cats & Porch Cat. :oAm I loosing my mind? When did you get a third indoor cat?:confused:

KayKay
April 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Nope - we have three indoor cats and Porch cat. Alpha male, older male, and female. The most recently obtained indoor cat was alpha male and he was the street urchin we found 8 years ago. :)

snafu
April 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM
:o I'm loosing it

Lizzie
April 20th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Nope - we have three indoor cats and Porch cat. Alpha male, older male, and female. The most recently obtained indoor cat was alpha male and he was the street urchin we found 8 years ago. :)

Well done KayKay

You have bet me to be the definite Cat Lady of the site!:)

KayKay
April 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
:o

I don't count Porch Cat as mine though!! Don't you have three Lizzie? Wait... don't you have four? You have the two tuxedos, the older one in the picture, and didn't the boys bring home a kitten last year?

snafu
April 20th, 2011, 08:15 AM
:rofl: and my tag line is "future crazy cat lady" (that's what DH says anyway)