PDA

View Full Version : cats on a diet

snafu
November 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Both cats are getting a little pudgy :rolleyes: so... I'm back to following the vets recommendation again-which the cats DON'T like :p.

Basicly you feed them like a dog - put the food down, wait 10-15 minutes, then pick it back up. They were a lot more active last night and this morning (after 24 hours on the "diet").

I like being able to leave the food, but the male cat will eat part of his, then eat part of the female's- THEN finish his.

(for some reason they each perfer a certain bowl)

KayKay
November 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I've never heard of that. Hmmm...

I'm not sure what to do about one of our cats. The other two are lean machines who obviously can self-regulate when it comes to the food bowl. I hate to punish the two of them because the other one is a glutton. And TBH, I don't think he *is* a glutton. I've never noticed him at the food bowl any more than the other two, and he is highly active. DH says he has a glandular problem. :p

snafu
November 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Our two cats have become major suck-ups since they went on the diet. I think they're trying retrain their humans to provide more food for more affection.

snafu
January 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
We are now weighing the cats using the Wii Fit Plus :D:rolleyes:; both are 13-14 lbs.

Lizzie
January 25th, 2010, 06:04 AM
My 3 are all getting pudgy!

The new kitten eats everyones food as well as her own but still the
other 2 look weighty...I must use the wiii and see where they are at!!!

The second cat .. still a kitten.. is fussy and eats just dried food so I am surprised
she looks fat now! She even allows the baby one eat her food!!

With 3 cats and four boys theres a lot of food on the go here!!

snafu
September 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
update:

The orginal diet failed, but I bought a new (smaller) food scoop & the kitties seem to be losing weight -it just might be time for a weigh in (for me too;))

KayKay
August 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM
It is time. We (meaning *I*) have put the alpha male on a diet. :( I tried weighing him with the weigh-myself-then-weigh-myself-holding-the-cat method. I came up with 19 pounds, but there's no way that's accurate. He was in the low to mid 20's last time we were at the vet (she yelled at me :() and he's gotten bigger. Mostly his activity level has sharply declined within the last few weeks. He used to grab a ribbon in his mouth (one of the games he taught us to play) and take off running to a different room. Now he doesn't run - he trots - and he doesn't make it more than about 4 feet before he stops. Plus he used to jump over me (from the floor) in bed to get to DH and now he can't clear me.

The self-feeder is gone, diet food has been purchased, and we now have two bowls with lids. One bowl is for the cats who don't need to be on a diet (regular food for mature adult cats, quantity not measured) and the other is for the alpha male (diet food, measured). I will need to be more stubborn than the cats, none of whom like this new system. The non-alpha male wants the diet food, the alpha male wants the good food, the female won't eat around the boys (who run to the food whenever they hear a lid coming off).

Wish me luck. I've never been hissed at so much in my life as in the last day. :(

LucyVanPelt
August 13th, 2013, 09:03 AM
That has got to be worse than the magic pantry! Poor kitties!

KayKay
August 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Yeah, "poor kitties." :rolleyes::D My Benedict Arnold family is refusing to play the bad guy with me. So I get to have "fun" torturing my poor kitties who trust me and don't understand why I'm taking their food away.

Knot2loud
August 13th, 2013, 10:37 AM
A 20 lb cat? :eek: What do you feed it? Neighbors you don't like? I have a neighbor I'll package and mail to you for your cat to consume.

Just kidding... I couldn't do that to your cat.

My mother's cat is pretty heavy... fat. She tells me it's because she never had kittens and was spayed. I tell her it's the Redi Whip, pastries, leftover pizza and other table foods that makes her fat.

KayKay
August 13th, 2013, 11:27 AM
LOL... In my defense, K2L, he's a HUGE cat, besides just being fat. He is very long and very tall.

I also have a 9 pound cat and a 15.5 pound cat. The vet says cats shouldn't weigh more than 15 pounds, so started fussing at me that the 15.5 pound one was overweight. But then she really LOOKED at him. He is also a large (big-boned, tall) cat so she could feel his ribcage just fine and his profile looks like the "ideal weight" picture she had hanging in her office. She changed her mind and said that he wasn't overweight at all.

The 20-something pounder is even bigger than the 15.5 pounder in height and length. I read on Wikipedia that the "average" cat is about 18 inches long and 9 inches tall. This guy is a little more than 21 inches long and is 14 inches tall. So we don't expect him to weigh 15 pounds, but high-20's (where I suspect he is now) is a little much. I ignored it as long as he was active (he is the most active of the three cats) and appeared healthy, but now he's slowing down and his weight is rising as a result.

The funny thing is that of the three cats, he's the one who eats the least table food. The only table food DH gives them (and yes, it's DH) is lean protein. They'll get morsels of fish or pork or chicken or sometimes turkey; the fat one usually turns up his nose at it. He does like ranch dressing, but I don't let him have it. That's not to say that he doesn't sometimes find unguarded salad bowls. :o

snafu
August 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM
sounds as if you have a few kitties that are part Maine coon

KayKay
August 13th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I think my 15.5 pounder might have Maine coon in him. All three of my cats are adoptees from the streets (two from the pound, one from directly off the streets) so they certainly aren't purebred. :) But the non-alpha male has the body shape and face shape of Maine coon and sure likes to "talk" a lot (which I hear Maine coons do). He is incredibly gentle and fancies himself a lap cat. :rolleyes:

The big one though... he doesn't have too many other Maine coon characteristics other than being playful and being huge. ;)

KayKay
August 15th, 2013, 02:29 PM
My poor kitties are starving. They can't figure out the new system. They have spent most of their lives eating small amounts whenever the mood struck them. I'm having to watch for them to go into the laundry room where the food is, then take the lid off of the appropriate bowl. They *might* eat (I don't think they like the bowl) but only a few morsel before walking away. None of them has had the amount of food recommended *per day* TOTAL in the 4 days since the diet started. :( So the fat one was supposed to have a cup and a half of the diet food per day. He hasn't eaten a cup total since four days ago. The other two are eating even less. :(

ETA: And no noticeable weight loss in the big one. :rolleyes:

LucyVanPelt
August 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Aww, poor kitties. Your big one isn't big boned?

But now that I'm thinking about cars and big bones, I'm going to be singing this all day: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UT21MqxOQtY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUT21MqxOQtY

:D

nicki23
December 21st, 2013, 09:34 AM
My cat is getting pretty pudgy too. I try to only put food at feeding time instead of leaving a full bowl all the time. That seems to have helped a bit.