PDA

View Full Version : @#*% Cats

snafu
August 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
My cats have lousy litterbox habits :mad:

One, when she gets POed pees outside the litterbox(s). The only thing that seem to change her behavior is moving from one home to another. She'll use the litterboxes again until she gets POed again. At least she poops in the litterboxes. We've got a rubber mat with a bathroom throw rug right outside the litterboxes & she pees there

The other cat - well he won't poop in a box that has poop in it (one time use :rolleyes:) He's taken to pooping on the rug outside the litterboxes IF there's poop in both boxes.

I clean the boxes anywhere from 1-3 times a day.

KayKay
August 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM
:eek:

My cats' owners have lousy litterbox habits. The cats are pretty cool. We have two litterboxes that get changed once per week (way less than suggested) and somehow (miraculously) they don't smell and the cats are good with it. Thank goodness.

The only "issue" we have is that one of the cats forgets to turn around when he goes in the box. Our boxes have lids on them, and he'll go in head first and not turn around, which means the "business end" is sticking out of the entrance when he goes. Rubber mat to the rescue! :D

Lizzie
August 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Our little kitten is very clean too...but the litter box stinks! Doesnt seem to matter
when I change it! I have it in the utility room off the kitchen.
She goes outside too but as shes waiting for spay on Thurs shes in all the time!
The older cat is fantastic...goes out and does bizz outside...never bothers with
the litter....dont ya love these little kitties.....

snafu
September 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Stupid cat :mad: OK, the cat's not stupid - I just got to get better organized :rolleyes:.

I came home from my interview today & found our gray cat curled up sleeping in the clean (now fur covered) dish towels & dish clothes that I hadn't folded yet. So I had to rewash them :o:rolleyes:.

snafu
October 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=KayKay;29926 We have two litterboxes that get changed once per week (way less than suggested) and somehow (miraculously) they don't smell [/QUOTE]

What litter do you use? We have an air deoderizer near the litterboxes & still get some oder :rolleyes:

KayKay
October 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'll PM the brand to you so as not to advertise. ;) It's not the scoopable kind...

We have lids on our litter boxes too. I clean the lids too (not often enough, poor kitties).

Not to be too graphic, but which smell is it you're smelling? Is it the urine or the poop? If you're getting a really strong ammonia smell, it might signal that the cats aren't getting enough water, or one of them might have some underlying problem (diabetes, kidney disease).

If it's the poop smell, that might just be diet related.

snafu
June 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
"Princess", after getting back from an "overnight" at the vet let me know she was unhappy with me - she left me a "gift" outside of the litter box :mad: and wouldn't let me touch her for a while :rolleyes:

snafu
August 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
:rolleyes::mad::eek:

I was cleaning the litterboxes - had one emptied (hadn't refilled it yet), took the cat throw/pee rug upstairs to wash, and when I came back Ghost was peeing in the EMPTY litterbox - stupid cat :mad::rolleyes:

Blue Skies
August 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
:rolleyes::mad::eek:

I was cleaning the litterboxes - had one emptied (hadn't refilled it yet), took the cat throw/pee rug upstairs to wash, and when I came back Ghost was peeing in the EMPTY litterbox - stupid cat :mad::rolleyes:

Could have been worse, he (she?) could have peed outside the litterbox! :eek:

snafu
August 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
:o we have two "pee rugs" :o

that way the cat that gets POed (:D) can use one while the other is in the wash :rolleyes:

Mrs X
August 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Thank Goodness, all our cat does inside is vomit. (grrrr) And mostly she does that outside as well. - She is free to come and go as her royal highness wishes of course, but it is much nicer to be curled up with mummy and daddy and the dog at night, isn't it?

KayKay
August 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Off topic, but it made me laugh and Mrs X reminded me of it so I thought I'd share...

One night a few weeks ago, when I was really really upset with DH, I fell asleep with our female cat between us. I awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of the cat getting ready to vomit (that gagging thing they do). In a blink of an eye, I thought to myself "HA HA! She's facing his way! He deserves to have a cat barf on him in the middle of the night!" (He did). Then I decided that I needed to do the right thing, and I removed the cat to the bathroom (tile) floor.

True love. :rolleyes: (That, and I realized I'd be the one cleaning it up)

snafu
September 3rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
got home tonight & discovered that "PITA" (who likes to demand that I feed him at the crack o' dawn) puked on the airhockey table :rolleyes::eek: - and I'd just cleaned it a few days ago :(

iclimb1998
September 13th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I like to watch our 4 year old drag our cat around like a sack of potatoes. It never occurs to the cat to defend itself or escape. after 5 minutes it's meowing frantically at the back door.

KayKay
September 17th, 2010, 11:07 AM
You have a patient kitty. :) Is it declawed?

snafu
October 7th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I am royally POed

someone has been pizzing at the foot of the stairs

tomorrow I'm getting a "little green machine" and will be possibly shampooing the same area on a daily basis until PITA stops ... (or as my luck would have it, starts peeing in a different sport)

Cremebrulee
November 12th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I'm probably offering information you already know, but just in case

cats do not like to use the same litter box

the cat was probably using the litter box before you put litter in it, b/c he was claiming it as his.

if cats go outside the litter box, there is something disturbing them about what is in the box....?

have you changed litters? Cats are extremely sensitive to textures, smells, etc.

do you have a litter box for each cat you own?

cats like only about 2 inches of litter in the box.

they don't like to go in a place another cat has used?

Why don't you put their names on each of their litter boxes? LOL, just kidding.

snafu
October 17th, 2016, 04:57 PM
DH is ready to kill the cats

I'd just scooped out the litter boxes ....and one of the cats pooped on the carpet

snafu
January 11th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Still having issues, we started using puppy pee pads.... 😡

KayKay
January 11th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Really? Are they helping?

snafu
January 13th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Really? Are they helping?

strangely enough - they seem to be

nodramamama68
February 6th, 2017, 09:49 PM
I am lucky in that, I own the worlds possibly best lab ever. Since he was a little pup he has been the best. Unlike the nightmares I've read and heard from other lab owners. I haven't had any problems. My 7yo best buddy has always gone outside. He was pretty much potty trained by the breeder before I brought him home. If he feels sick to his tummy or is encountering a bout of diarreah , he will start whining loudly till you get him outside to get it gone..lol
Never has chewed up anything thanks to some heavy research on how to prevent that and some training on my end. Dh and I have a lot fun and a lot joy with our labby.
We always joke about if our 3 dds had only been so easy to raise we might have loved them as much as our pup..lol

Rebecca
February 7th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Since I live alone my cat Goober keeps me sane. I just wish he would use the litter box, instead he goes outside. So every morning he wakes me up....

at 4:00 a.m. to go outside and potty. It's like clockwork and of course I have to wait until he comes back in to go back to bed.

Did I mention it's 4:00 a.m. every morning :D

KayKay
February 7th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Yikes. Would you consider a cat door?

Rebecca
February 7th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Yikes. Would you consider a cat door?

I've thought about it but with Goober he would probably bring home every cat in the neighborhood :D

snafu
February 23rd, 2018, 03:24 PM
pee pads effectiveness is waning :(

snafu
March 5th, 2018, 09:44 AM
:(

I just looked at my first post - this has been going on for over 9 years!

My cats are now 13 & 14 yr old. I don't think I can take much more of this & I know DH can't/won't.

Knot2loud
April 5th, 2018, 12:10 PM
:(

I just looked at my first post - this has been going on for over 9 years!

My cats are now 13 & 14 yr old. I don't think I can take much more of this & I know DH can't/won't.

Hey snafu... That's one of those decisions that really suck in life. I've put down five best friends (dogs) since my wife and I have been married. I cried for each and every one of them.

You have to do what you have to do.

I have to give you credit.... Nine years is a long time to deal with missing the liter box. That's patience.