PDA

View Full Version : My doggie is sick:(

Another Disheartened DIL
June 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
When I got home last night, her eye was super swollen and sealed shut. I took her the emergency clinic. At first I thought it was caused by Pita (our "lovely" cat), but she was still sound asleep in the same spot as when I saw her earlier. They determined she must have been bit or stung by something and had an allergic reaction.

This morning, she still hadn't eaten, had any water, gone potty, threw up twice, etc., so I took her into the vet. Today she is running a fever, but her bloodwork came back fine. He thinks she was stung by a scorpian! Poor dog :( He also said she is getting to be considered geriatric! She's seven in people years. But I must admit I've been noticing she doesn't get up as quickly as she did in years past.

There's one part of this we can find funny. They put a cone thing on her so she would quit rubbing it with her paw. She is large (Catahoula/Aus. Shep mix), but very mild. If a door is only slightly open, she won't push through or if a partially block an opening with a baby gate she won't try knock it down, jump over, or sqeeze around it. With this cone, she has trouble moving through wide open doorways, halls, etc. She waits for me to lead her and then every few seconds she bumps into me with the cone. If she tries to get close to the couches and bumps one with cone, she just stops and waits for me to lead her away. To get her upstairs, DH had to lift her head up each step so she could make it. He wants to film it tonight for AFV:rolleyes: Poor dog has been through enough!

snafu
June 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Your poor puppy :(. I hope she gets better soon.

(((hugs)))

Mrs X
June 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
When I got home last night, her eye was super swollen and sealed shut. I took her the emergency clinic. At first I thought it was caused by Pita (our "lovely" cat), but she was still sound asleep in the same spot as when I saw her earlier. They determined she must have been bit or stung by something and had an allergic reaction.

This morning, she still hadn't eaten, had any water, gone potty, threw up twice, etc., so I took her into the vet. Today she is running a fever, but her bloodwork came back fine. He thinks she was stung by a scorpian! Poor dog :( He also said she is getting to be considered geriatric! She's seven in people years. But I must admit I've been noticing she doesn't get up as quickly as she did in years past.

There's one part of this we can find funny. They put a cone thing on her so she would quit rubbing it with her paw. She is large (Catahoula/Aus. Shep mix), but very mild. If a door is only slightly open, she won't push through or if a partially block an opening with a baby gate she won't try knock it down, jump over, or sqeeze around it. With this cone, she has trouble moving through wide open doorways, halls, etc. She waits for me to lead her and then every few seconds she bumps into me with the cone. If she tries to get close to the couches and bumps one with cone, she just stops and waits for me to lead her away. To get her upstairs, DH had to lift her head up each step so she could make it. He wants to film it tonight for AFV:rolleyes: Poor dog has been through enough!
Poor baby. :( but that would be a funny AFV!

We have a huge strong golden retreiver, and she had a cone when she was about 6months old. Rascal dog found she could push it along the ground and swallow whatever she scooped up! Mmmmm....... :D

KayKay
June 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
One of my kitties was stung by a scorpion years ago on her paw (well, HELLO... don't bat the scorpion when it's tail is up!) She didn't have any kind of reaction like your doggie, but she spent a lot of time licking her wound. She still licks it fairly often (it's been about 5 years) but now it may be just a nervous habit.

I hope your dog gets better soon!

Another Disheartened DIL
July 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Thank you! She is doing much better, though she still mess with her eye every so often. She's had two checkups since then and all looks well, so I wonder if it will always bother her a little, like KayKay's cat.

She is now on arthritis medicine and a prescription diet. She's always had tummy problems (when I adpoted her, the Animal Defense League had named her Squirt - it was because of her size!), so I've never given her people food. Lately, she had been throwing up more often and skipping eating for a few days. Now she is on a very bland mix of dry and wet food and she loves it. No skipped meals or any more tummy troubles since then, either.

The arthritis just started this past year - she'll sometimes have trouble standing up, so we opted to start the medicine now, to help ease the progression and pain since she's only 7.

We also finally got Pita fixed (indoor only cat - but her yowling was getting unbearable). She scared me at first by staying hidden for two days. She was very scared of us after the surgery, but has finally gotten back to her normal self. She's still pretty wild, but she has become more affectionate and demands more holding and petting time.:rolleyes: I hoped for that, but also hoped she would CALM DOWN! So the spray bottle doesn't get put away anytime soon...

Fishman
August 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Did she end up being ok? please tell me some good news.