PDA

View Full Version : I am doomed to be one of "those" MILs

grubby
May 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
I went to pick the kids up at school yesterday, something I don't normally due because they usually go to after school care. I am waiting in the commons area for my twins (age 5) to come out when another mother approaches me.

She was gushing (and I mean gushing) about how her daughter LOOOOOOOVES DS, and how they are boyfriend/girlfriend, and how her daughter is always talking about DS. She even mentioned that her daughters birthday is coming up and how DS would probably want to get her a gift, well since they are boyfriend and girlfriend. :eek: :rolleyes: Um, NO, I don't think so.

I was polite and smiled and grabbed my kids and ran. BUT OMG, I had the urge to yell "Oh, heck no!! They are 5-years-old. I am not playing this boyfriend/girlfriend game yet. Get that idea out of your crazy head lady and tell your daughter to back off" I am sure its harmless on the mom's part and 100% positive it is harmless on her daughters part, but they are 5 for goodness sakes. Can't they just be friends that any other kid. Do we really have to act like they should be getting married. :(:rolleyes:

Brownie
May 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Grubby,

Why are people in such a hurry to have their kids "grow up"?!?

I just don't get it.

HisHeathenHoney
May 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Well, I certainly hope objecting to the use of 'girlfriend/boyfriend' at the age of 5 doesn't mean you'll be a horrible possessive MIL. If you told us you were jealous of the little girls who liked your sons that's one thing, but I don't think you're a hopeless case just to want to let your kids be little kids.

In fact, I think people who rush to GF/BF terms may turn out to be nutty MILs themselves. Either being jealous of little opposite gender friends or gushing about them as if we were talking arranged marriages, has something in common: Projecting your own (adult) experience onto your kids and not letting them be themselves at their own pace. It's an overreaction to little kid friendship.

I don't like the terms either, when applied to little kids. I like it when my boys play with girls...makes me hope they can learn to relate to females somewhat normally as they grow up, and have genuine friendships with them. That's got to help when the hormones eventually start to rage.(I hope.)

KayKay
May 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
I'm flabbergasted that she suggested that your DS get her DD a gift. Oh, wait... no I'm not. ;)

Another Disheartened DIL
May 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
I can understand her talking about how her DD is "in love" with your DS, but to suggest he get her a gift just because of that is weird. They don't even really know what being a boyfriend/girlfriend is.

Outside of being a guest at another kid's b-day party, do young kids even give gifts to classmates?