PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting old

Lucybear
September 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I went to get my YDD a new fall coat, and they had these skirts that went right below the buttcheeks, and these little half shirts that go with it, along with these matching cowboy boots.

Now they were adorable, but the outfit reminded me of Daisy Duke on Dukes of Hazzards!!

But there was tons of outfits like this!! And the hip huggers that went right above the buttcheek, with half shirts, or short tank tops. :confused:

Of course YDD wanted all the outfits because they were "stylish" ppfftt yea right. At that point I was like "Oooh loook YDD there is a Hanna Montana coat" :D

Eeek am I getting old, or are these clothing makers running out of fabric? :p

nonnymouse
September 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
I can't stand that they put that out for kids. I want to throw all the Bratz cr*p on the shelves into the toilet too. Lingerie on dolls? For what purpose?

I let my girls have shorter skirts that come with long leggings and no tummy exposing shirts, cute or not. I use the phrase, "That is not for us." often when we see those things. They learned to move on pretty quickly to other things.

There was a point when I was afraid I'd be teaching them to be overly judgemental. Then I realized I'd rather they be judgemental and be given a strong perspective than not be seeing that some things are acceptable and some are not and letting the people who chose what will be out in the store chose for them.

I think I was always old.:rolleyes:;)

And using less fabric means there is more of a profit for the makers. And a lot of cold, overexposed children. Your not old Lucybear, clothing makers are more greedy.:D

DH had a co-worker at his last job who was always complaining of being cold. She would wear sweaters that exposed her stomach. Sure it was cute. But she was cold. DH said he wanted to tell her to wear real clothes and stop complaining. This was an office. They eventually instituted a sort of dress code on behalf of the cold women who would leave chunks of flesh exposed. They couldn't make the decision to wear more clothing without a mandate from higher up.:rolleyes: :p

KayKay
September 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Lucybear, I don't have anything intelligent to say about this, except a big "I HEAR YA!" I am very fortunate to have a modest/tomboy DD who would fall over if someone suggested she show her belly! :eek: In fact, I find myself being old and crotchety and judgmental about people who buy their (developed) pre-teen DD's string bikinis and say "Well EVERYONE is wearing them... what's wrong with that?", and people whose Christmas card show the whole family (from 50+ y.o. Mom down to 17 y.o. teenager) on an Island vacation wearing next-to-nothing.

*grump grump grump* :mad:

ETA: With one of my BF's DDs (who likes hoochie-mama clothes), what has worked has been when my BF has enlisted me to say "Oh that's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttteee!! Where did you get it? I want one!" NO ONE wants to be seen in clothes that a 45-year-old mom of 2 thinks are cute. :rolleyes:

Becca
September 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Less fabric at a much higher price. :rolleyes: