PDA

View Full Version : Buying school clothes

Lucybear
September 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM
Since we were talking about hair styles, I was curious about school clothes.

When you go school clothes shopping, do you pick out the clothes, or do you let your children pick out theirs?

I just give my ODD money and drop her off at the mall with her best friend. ODD is 17, and knows that, that is the only money she is getting for clothes, so she is really good at getting clothes and not a bunch of junk (at least normally :rolleyes:)

YDD (age 7) I take shopping and sheesh I swear all she wanted was Hanna Montana, Tinkerbell, and High School Musical (is High School Musical like the "Grease" of 2008?) But this one shirt she was just squealing with delight because she kept a HOLD of that shirt (wouldn't put it in the basket, LOL) and kept telling everyone how "stylish" it was. I thought it was dog ugly ;), but she was so excited about it I ended up getting it for her (I know, she's spoiled :rolleyes: )

KayKay
September 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
U-NI-FORMS, baaaabbbbeeeee!! :D

I know a lot of people hate them, but they work really, really well for our family. :D The majority of people at our school like them. (Public schools in our area require them too)

1dilwhosreal
September 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM
I let my children pick out their own clothes within reason. If I insist they buy what I like, they won't wear it. If they insist on something that I hate (like all those skulls on clothes :confused:) they know it might not make it through the wash. ;)

It's a good compromise.

snafu
September 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
DS is hitting the stage where I can't pick out clothes anymore :rolleyes:. I'm glad he has his own taste, but I used to be able to get something and know he'd love it. Now - sheesh - he doesn't want to go shopping, but doesn't care for a lot of stuff (last time I was lucky though- got him a shirt with a dragon & a couple of shirts with skateboarders on them).

nonnymouse
September 1st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Mine are still small but do get a say in what I buy. If we are shopping and the are interested in a particular outfit, if it is acceptable and in the right price range they get it. (I walk them by the clearance stuff first. ;)) They pick stuff for each other too, "Ohh, this would be great for brother!" I hope they stay easy to shop for. It helps that I don't have a problem saying 'no' and they don't freak out over clothing options the way they can over almost anything else.

They do not ask for clothes unless we are on a specifically 'for clothes' trip. Do your older kids ask for clothes at other times?

Lucybear, that is great that you can give your daughter her clothing budget and trust her to come out with reasonable stuff and not just a stack of CDs or something.:)

Lucybear
September 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
She tries and asks for clothes once in awhile (especially if her friends are going to the mall), but she is pretty good about it. I do go out and buy undergarments a couple of times during the school year (how on earth she wears out bras and panties in 6 months is beyond me :rolleyes: )

Although (hehehe ODD would kill me if she knew I told anyone this :D ) but she was I believe 13, and her friends all came over because they wanted to go shopping at the mall (this was the first time I allowed her to go) and I warned her in front of her friends that she needed to be responsible and buy school clothes NOT a bunch of misc crud she didn't need. Of course I got the "of course mommy :rolleyes:" So off we go to the mall, and I swear my mouth works faster than I think sometimes, and I yell out the door "make sure you buy new bras and panties too" WOOPS!! Oh dear god my daughter about died and glared at me so bad (I'm laughing so hard right now:D) and I told her "oops sorry" :p

Anyways I pick them all up a couple hours later, and low and behold she had bought a bunch of junk that she didn't need (and this bra and panty set that I swear she got from Victoria Secret. It was gorgeous, but for a 13 year old :confused:)

I didn't say anything to her, and of course about a week before she started school she was all upset and crying and asking me for more money to buy school clothes, and which time I reminded her that she had her oppertunity and she blew it on junk stuff, and I would not budge on giving her anything (of course her dad and his parents bought her a couple of things which irked me :mad:) but she learned her lesson well, and I haven't had too much problems with her since.

Although I do have to ask, why oh why do these girls have to wear these pants that the waist is like right above the buttcheek, and then wear itty bitty tanktops (my daughter won't get those for fear my lighter would end up finding them and POOF there they go :p )

snafu
September 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
:rolleyes: my DH is a teacher - complains about parents not making sure their kids follow the dress code - but he doesn't make his DD follow the dress code either :mad: (I already have a scar from pounding my head into the wall - not doing that anymore)

My DS is beginning to question why there are different rules for his step-sister. :(

edit - get this DH says that he doesn't think its appropraite for his DD to wear short shorts to church, but allows it anyway! And he's an Eldor! (IMO - should be setting a better example)

mum of three
September 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I am so glad that in th uk schools have uniforms. I would not be able to keep up with buying my children a whole new wardrobe for school.

I bought both of my kids 2 uniforms each.( One on and one getting washed). I see parents struggleing who have more than one child and uniforms can be bought fairly cheaply if your children are in primary school.

Oogie
September 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I agree with you mum of three - here in S.A it is the same.Uniforms all around and I think it is great for the parents (less expense, less arguments) and good for the children as they are all equal. Brand names vs cheap clothing store can call for bullying - we all know just how nasty children can be!

latelearner
September 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Oh I WISH they would have that here in Canada. Our secondary schools do thank goodness (the Catholic ones anyways), but not primary school.